Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:45:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Junior Kernel hacker task? <g> Re: interface stalling on tx ?

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> ok, i think this is exactly the problem, and "conservative" is
> an understatement, I would call that plain broken :)
>
> Your fix seems the correct way to handle the problem,
> I wonder if there is an easy way to put something like
> this in a generic procedure (such as ether_output_frame)
> that is called by all drivers instead of relying on the
> individual drivers to do the right thing each one in its
> own way...

I think that it would probably be easier to go and fix many of the network
drivers than to abstract the watchdog timer more.

<This is the point where silby offers to make the change to all network
card drivers, then tragically realizes that he has other stuff he should
handle first.>

If some junior kernel hacker wants a chance to write up some simple
patches, this would be a good project.  Of course, this also means that
you must find someone with a network card for each driver you patch and
have them ensure that the changes do not cause any problems.  Then send
the patches to me, and I'll get them committed.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack