Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 2014 23:59:18 +0100
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-translators@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Introduction

--Apple-Mail=_7AA5C858-85FF-4DA2-8550-8B290AA6E9AA

> On 13 Dec 2014, at 23:48, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
>=20
> I'm a FreeBSD documentation committer, and my interest in translation =
is to help make the translation process easier.  Translators and =
translated documentation is often the first encounter people will have =
with a project like FreeBSD.  Our translation processes have not kept up =
with the quantity of our documentation.  Fixing that would make =
translating much less work, and allow us to lower the barrier to entry =
for volunteer translators.  At the same time, it would simplify editing =
documentation for English speakers.
>=20
> During the Developer Summit at BSDCan 2014, Benedict Reuschling =
presented an approach to this using existing tools for the PO/gettext =
translation system used by many other projects:
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/201405DevSummit/Translation
>=20
> Personally, I only speak English, but would still like to make it =
easier for others to translate our documentation.

I=E2=80=99ll chime in as well. I am another FreeBSD Documentation =
Committer (amongst others). I am (with rene@) the main translator for =
the Dutch Documentation Project. We are one of the projects that are =
affected by the high rate of english updates, which makes us unable to =
properly follow.

Having an easier system to do translations would make us capable of =
keeping it up to date even better then we did in the past.

My languages are mainly Dutch and English, but I can read German as well =
:-)

cheers
Remko

--