Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 16:28:04 -0500
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        Charles Williams <cr1148@earthlink.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing Ports

On Sat, Jan 02, 1999 at 03:56:32PM -0500, Charles Williams wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD,
> Thanks for all your help, especially Jaime, for helping me boot into FreeBSD.
> It finally worked.  I relized I was booting into the wrong drive.
> The real reason I'm writing is because I'm trying to install the K Desktop
> Environment (KDE).  When ever I try the "make install" command, each ftp
> server replies: "Host name lookup failure."  I'm confused.  Please give me
> all the help you can.  Please also explain exactly what a "host" is.  I could
> use the help.

A host is a computer on the Internet.

The first step in port compiling is the fetching of the sources from a host
listed in the Makefile. Your computer needs to be able to look up the address
of the host it's trying to fetch the sources from so it can connect to that
host and proceed with the fetching.

"Host name lookup failure" means that your computer was unable to resolve the
host name into an address, which most likely is an indication that you don't
have working name servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf. (This assumes that you
are actually connected to the Internet while you're trying to make the port. If
you're not connected, the symptoms will be the same.)

The first thing you need to do is determine what your name server addresses
should be. If you're connecting to the Internet via a connection to an ISP, you
need the name server addresses your ISP provides you with. If you're connecting
via a corporate or university LAN, find out from an administrator or someone
else who knows what name servers you're supposed to use.

Armed with that information, add lines to /etc/resolv.conf like these:

nameserver	xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nameserver	yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy are the IP addresses of the name
servers you're supposed to use. Then you should be good to go.

Chris