Date:      Wed, 09 May 2012 11:21:50 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Subject:   Questions on adaptive mutexes and trylock

The newest GLib (as well as PHP APC) is starting to use adaptive mutexes
in their code.  When a mutex type is set to adaptive and you try to call
pthread_mutex_trylock() on it, you get back an EINVAL.  Is this a bug,
or should this really be happening (the code clearly indicates adaptive
mutexes are not handled by trylock)?

I imagine Linux is not doing this since the code doesn't abort on Linux
as it does on FreeBSD.  Should we be silently allowing trylock to
perform a no-op on adaptive mutexes, or should we be handling adaptive
mutexes with trylock?  Thanks.

Joe