Date:      Tue,  6 Feb 2001 23:39:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Stable Support for AS1200

--------------Boundary-00=_K9ED456VPRMPJEDD7TH0

Hi.

I just got a pair of AlphaServer 1200's (Dual 533 CPU). I know very
little about the Alpha but I chose these machines because they were
very inexpensive and because I knew there was a FreeBSD port.

When I got the first machine I downloaded the boot floppy and
attempted to install. Reading the mailing list posts it doesn't look
like it will work and certainly not support SMP. Is this accurate
info or is it based on outdated info?

I know one thing for certain, I'm not going to pay $7800 CAD per
server for a Tru64 license!

What are my options as far as FreeBSD-Alpha goes? Is it reasonable to
expect the same level of stability as I have seen (hardware aside)
from our Intel based FreeBSD boxen?

-Michael