Date:      21 Jun 1998 15:21:54 -0400
From:      Robert Sanders <rsanders@mindspring.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TweakDUN

bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah) writes:

> I don't use dialups very often nowadays, but I dimly remember trying to
> negotiate a *smaller* MTU on a downlink, in order to try to get better
> interactive performance (mumble mumble, use IP TOS bits and smarter queueing,
Reordering packets doesn't help on a dialup link if you have a bulk
transfer going with 1500 byte packets.  Even if you put "interactive"
priority packets at the head of the queue, you may already have a 1500
byte packet in progress.  Worse, most modems have significant
local buffering to accomodate MNP/v.42bis compression so there may be
even *more* than one packet's worth of delay depending on exactly how
close to the wire the queuing algorithm lives.

Some people have proposed "fragmenting" the packets at layer 2 (or
2.5, whatever PPP is) with MP so that interactive packets can be
inserted into the middle, but I can't say off the top of my head
whether that's going to be any more efficient than just using IP
fragmentation and/or a small MSS.  Somebody else already pointed out
that VJ header compression significantly reduces packet overhead.  On
the other hand, with my network architect's hat on I don't like the
idea of tripling the rate of packets per sec through already busy
major exchanges and core routers.

regards,
  -- Robert