Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 22:42:20 +1100 (EST)
From:      Nicholas Charles Brawn <ncb05@uow.edu.au>
To:        Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no telnet.  how secure?

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Dan Langille wrote:

: I don't allow telnet to my box.  I'm the only user.  I'm running a
: webserver, but it's not published.  There's no CGI apart from what came
: with Apache.  How vulnerable is such a machine to attack?  I would like to
: exclude DOS attacks from this discussion as I feel thats something outside
: the scope of this question.

As listmembers, we can only really suggest common sense solutions
without further information of your network and system setup. But here's
my $0.02 worth of advice nevertheless. :)

- Don't run services you don't need to run. Edit inetd.conf and rc.conf
  accordingly.
- Compile firewall support into your kernel, or make use of the ipfw
  loadable kernel module. Learn how to use it effectively.
- Learn what files on your system are priviledged (suid/sgid). Then, go
  through them one by one, and decide whether they *really* need to be
  priviledged. Robert Watson's tool 'suidcontrol' is well suited to this
  task: http://www.watson.org/fbsd-hardening/suidcontrol.html
- Check recent CERT advisories and FreeBSD Security Advisories, and
  determine whether your system needs patching/etc. If so, apply them.
- Keep abreast of the latest security developments and vulnerability's.
  Subscribing to mailing lists such as this one and BUGTRAQ is a good
  start.
- If you have users, set appropriate defaults in such files as
  /etc/profile for umask and other settings that affect security.

Url's you should check on a semi-regular basis:
- http://www.freebsd.org/security/	FreeBSD's Security Site
- http://www.watson.org/fbsd-hardening/	FreeBSD Hardening Project
- http://www.best.com/~jkb/howto.txt	FreeBSD Security Howto

: --
: Dan Langille
: The FreeBSD Diary - my [mis]adventures
: http://www.FreeBSDDiary.com

Hope that's of help,
Nick

--
Email: ncb05@uow.edu.au - http://rabble.uow.edu.au/~nick
Key fingerprint =  DE 30 33 D3 16 91 C8 8D  A7 F8 70 03 B7 77 1A 2A