Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 10:52:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)" <jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Niklas Hallqvist: archivers/hpack.non-usa.only

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim) wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > In message <Mutt.19970110131236.davidn@labs.blaze.net.au> David Nugent writes:
> > : No, they don't have sys/param.h. It is a BSDism that is only
> > : recently being more widely adopted. IIRC, AIX and DG's UNIX
> > : don't have it either. I don't currently have access to either
> > well as IRIX 5.2 and 6.x.  I don't know about DG's unix, however I
> > suspect that it does have it based on reports I received, along with
> > diffs, that OI compile on that machine with a single, small change to
> > the files needing to be included for time stuff.  The DG system in
> > question was a SYSVr4.something based system for the mk88000.
> >
> > I've sent mail to some friends that I have with these systems for them
> > to check to be sure that my memory is correct.  They have not yet
> > responded.

Guys, I want to remind all you of something you might be overlooking here.

WE DON'T CARE WHICH SYSTEMS HAVE OR DON'T HAVE SYS/PARAM.H.

Excuse me for shouting, this isn't the first time I've posted that.  We
only care about detecting, non-destructively (both for systems that do and
for those that don't have it) whether of not it's there.  We are aware
that a lot of systems don't have it.

The proposal is to detect either the cpp-defined "unix" or "__unix__"
variable, which should indicate (if it's found) that sys/param.h does in
fact exist on a particular system.  If you find a system that defined
either of those symbols, but DOESN'T have sys/param.h, that would really
be of particular interest.

Detect the unix/__unix_ either by a short program, of by doing a
cpp -dM, followed by a control D, and it would print out all the locally
defined variables.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |