Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 1996 08:07:44 +0000
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Route removal on interface shutdown

> Ok So this is more a political question than a technical one..
>
> when an interface is shut down, certain things should be removed
> from the routing tables..
> but how much is a judgement call:

> 1/ Every routing entry that points to that interface?
No, the pointer to the interface should just be reset to NULL so that on
the next usage it is reevaluated looking for a useable interface.
> 2/ Only those that were automatically created?
yes.
> 3/ what if the default points out there as well?
Just like any other route, 1/ or 2/ depending on how it was made.
> 4/ only cloned routes?
flush.
> 5/ should all ARP entries be flushed as well?
flush.
> etc.
no, really that is all I know about.

> I tend to go for the "anything that references that interface" set..
No, we should >never< remove a statically added route.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.