Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 07:06:46 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, Danny Dulai <nirva@ishiboo.com>, Amancio Hasty Jr <hasty@netcom.com>, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: X-10 Mouse Remote patch

Sren Schmidt:
 |Yep it will endeed, this is the way to do it guys, the current hacks
 |to moused are, well, nicely put, GROSS!!
 |Guys you need to do a little design now and then, not all these
 |quick hacks, if not FreeBSD will end up being like the L word :)

On the subject of hacks and design, when I found out this is how
/dev/sysmouse works a few weeks ago, I was somewhat disappointed:

                       /----> syscons-specific ---->
                      /           back door          \
 serial port -> moused                                ---> /dev/sysmouse -> X11

This having-to-change-the-console-driver to extend the sysmouse protocol
crossed several cleaner design options off my list at the start.

Why should the console driver have any special status?  Just another mouse
client, right?

Randall