Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:44:53 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xchat2 - perl plugin makes xchat2 core dump

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:14:13 -0500
Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:12:42 -0400, Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:13:18 -0400
> > Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:
> >
> > <snip other discussion>
> >
> >> Send me the script you're using, and let me know exactly the steps
> >> you're using.  I don't have any xchat Perl scripts.  Perhaps there is a
> >> problem with using the plug-in.
> >>
> >> Joe
> >
> > I renamed my ~/.xchat2 directory and tried a clean startup.  And I
> > can load the perl.so module without crashing xchat2.  Note that the
> > warning about not being able to preload is still present, but it
> > does not crash:
> >
> >    AutoLoad failed for:
> >    /usr/X11R6/lib/xchat/plugins/perl.so
> >
> >    No xchat_plugin_init symbol; is this really an xchat plugin?
>
> No error here..

I should have been clearer on that.  It shows up in the server window
of xchat2 and not an xterm.

Did the perl.so really autoload for you or did you have to load it
manually?

> > The perl script I was using was an fserve:
> >
> >   http://homepages.tu-darmstadt.de/~awerth/obsidian/
> >
> > The version I was successfully using prior to the last ports update was:
> >
> >   http://homepages.tu-darmstadt.de/~awerth/obsidian/obsidian-0.9.2-pre1.tar.gz
> >
> > I have tried other versions but with the same results.  I also
> > tried a couple of other perl scripts including the one that comes
> > with the distribution:
> >
> >   /usr/ports/irc/xchat2/work/xchat-2.0.8/plugins/perl/sample_script.pl
> >
> > I can load the perl.so module, but trying to use any perl script
> > causes the core dump.  So I'm not sure its the perl scripts.
>
> I am able to load all of scripts above, even with that
> obsidian-0.9.2-pre1.tar.gz too.
>
> In xchat:
> ===================================
> --- mezz sets mode +i mezz
>   [Obsidian FServe] Initializing...
>   [Obsidian FServe] Config file loaded...
>   [Obsidian FServe] Loaded sends/queue from file...
>   [Obsidian FServe] Type /fs to get help on the available commands.
> ===================================
>
> ===================================
> # nm -D /usr/X11R6/lib/xchat/plugins/perl.so | grep xchat_plugin_init
> 00008b70 T xchat_plugin_init
>
> # pkg_info | grep perl
> perl-5.8.2_5        Practical Extraction and Report Language
>
> # pkg_info | grep xchat
> xchat2-2.0.8_1      An X11 IRC client using the GTK+ 2 toolkit
> ===================================
>
> There doesn't has any of error msg, crash or whatever here. Perhaps, it
> was because of Perl 5.6.x?
>
> Cheers,
> Mezz

BINGO!!

Yes, you are correct ;-)  I deinstalled Perl 5.6.x and installed
perl-5.8.2_5 and no crashes when manually loading the perl.so and the
scripts.  I suppose I'll need to recompile a few other non-related
perl modules now.

The message in the xchat server window is still there, but the
perl.so loads fine manually along with the perl scripts.  I've
not given it all a thourough testing yet but it seems to be a
solution.

I had also reconstructed an older xchat ports skeleton from CVS
(~ 2.0.7_1) which was just prior to the update to 2.0.8 and things
work fine.  The perl.so loads (manually in that version) and the
Obsidian fserve seemed to run.

I went back to the xchat website and couldn't find any mention of
needing a particular version of Perl for the new interface and our
port will need to check for that in the Makefile.

I still think there might be a minor issue with "autoload" since I'm
still seeing that message.

Thanks for thinking about the Perl version!  I'll still be available
to do any other testing needed, just let me know.

Best regards,

Randy