Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 22:52:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: another 2.0.5 installation report

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > You must always consider a file system unacceptable as a root fs if it
> > > spans or exceeds BIOS cylinder 1023.
> >
> > No point here, the disk fakes to have 1024 cylinders.
> >
> > The above is really a bug.
>
> 1)	Not all BIOS does translation.

It's an IDE translation, btw.  Anyway, you've been missing my point.
In one occasion, sysinstall errouneously prevented me from using the
inner partition as root, even though it would have been possible.

In another case, it didn't tell me anything, but i finally got stuck
with an unusable root file system, since it was in the second FreeBSD
slice, and sysinstall attempted to newfs in the `compatibility' slice
(which is the same the boot loader would use).

I guess the above is totally unrelated to the magic 1024 cylinder
number, sysinstall _intents_ to be smart about the problems with the
compat slice, but it's got it wrong (decision being made based on the
location of the data cylinders on the disk, instead of based on the
fdisk slot # as it ought to be -- remember, the compat slice it the
first FreeBSD slice as seen in the fdisk table).

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/