Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:15:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      "J.F. Noonan" <jfn@msc.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   when make installkernel doesn't

Hi,

Yesterday I cvsup'd to -stable on an machine that had been running
4.5-stable (with 247 days of uptime).  I started a make buildworld
and a make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNELNAME and went home.

This morning, I dropped to single-user and did a make installworld
followed by a make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNELNAME.  I did a
mergemaster, sync,sync,reboot.  When the system came back up, I
did a netstat -a to be sure that my network services were all
running before leaving the machine room to go to my desk.

Huh, that's weird, nothing running but syslog.  tail -f
/var/log/maillog and see mail is going out and in.  uh, ok.  ps
ax|grep sendmail.  ps: proc size mismatch (41184 total, 1060
chunks).  OK, that means libkvm is out of sync so I go make that
and remake ps.  Same thing happens.

Hrrm, uname -a: 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #1: Fri Mar 22
17:55:41 CSt 2002.  Well that's not the kernel I installed and
that isn't yesterday's date.  date: Wed Jan 29 09:09:38 CST 2003
-- Clock's OK (better be or ntp is broken).

Alright, surely something must have gone wrong with that
installkernel let's just do another buildkernel and installkernel.
Build goes w/o incident, drop to single and install. Reboot, same
kernel.

I have done this 100 times if I have done this once and I have
never seen a kernel refuse to install.  Can anybody point out what
is wrong?

Thanks,

--

Joseph F. Noonan