Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2022 11:08:34 +0100
From:      Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
To:        peterj@freebsd.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Allwinner H6 thermal support

 Hi Peter,

On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 20:42:42 +1100
peterj@freebsd.org wrote:

> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> I notice you indicated that there is thermal support for the H6 on
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm/Allwinner.  I've just started
> experimenting with a PINE H64 and noticed the board didn't report any
> temperature data.  Looking through the head code, the doesn't seem to
> be any support for sun50i-h6-ths.  Do you have the code in a branch
> somewhere?

 If it's indeed me who put this on the wiki it's a mistake, I don't
remember ever working on H6 thermal support sorry.

> Before I noticed the wiki page, I started looking at implementing the
> code myself.  I had expected it would just be a matter of replicating
> the H5 code and tweaking the constants but, reading the Thermal Sensor
> Controller section of the H6 manual, it looks like the H6 controller
> is very different to the H5 controller:  The registers are at different
> offsets and laid out differently, so it's not compatible with (eg)
> sys/arm/allwinner/aw_thermal.c:aw_thermal_init(), which is a PITA.
> Have I missed something?

 Haven't looked myself but I'm not surprised, Allwinner is known to
change its design from time to time.
 Also tbh the only reason I've added basic H6 support was to work on
the designware usb3 controller as at the time I had problems with
Rockchip and didn't knew if it was my driver for the usb3 controller or
the phy and the phy driver was simpler on Allwinner.

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> <manu@freebsd.org>