Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:37:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, woods@zeus.leitch.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Static vs. dynamic linking (was Re: Using MD5 insted of DES ...)

Mike Smith said:
> > I suggest that our primary platform market is servers, and optimizing
> > for those is useful for reviews (remember the 64MB fiasco???)  If
> > we all decide that it is generally good to make binaries shared, we
> > need to make intelligent exceptions.  I'll scream terribly loudly
> > if we even passingly consider making a shell shared!!!  Shells
> > are almost never advatageously made shared.
>
> I think this basically says that we need to make shared executables
> faster.  The nuisance component with static binaries is rather high. 8(

I have optimized the kernel almost as much as humanly possible, and
alot of the overhead is there.  Take a look at our performance vs.
most other OSen, it is a hard problem to solve.

One problem has to do with the number of regions, and the data structures
needed to support them.

The other intrinsic issue is the locality of reference of the shared
images.  It is an impossible problem due to the inherent layout
challenges.  We don't have the sub-page resolution that we would
need to pack the shared libs more efficiently.

There are ways of improving the shared lib layout issues, but those
improvements don't FIX the problem, but make it better.