Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:29:43 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Not Going to Tell You <luckywolf19@hotmail.com>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible New Security Tool For FreeBSD, Need Your Help.

I guess what I meant by tight was that you would only allow packets from
know trusted ip's (like the one's you would be coming from) anad deny
all to everyone else.  Of course someone could spoof your ip, but they
would have a hard time finding out that ip.  The comment on sniffing was
to cover the bases, not to say it happens all the time, but you can't
rule things out on the basis that "99.9% of all hackers".. thats a bad
mentality to have when dealing with security issues I think..  It's a
good idea, I'm just asking what benefit it gives you over a strict
ipfilter list?

Also, would you have a "client" tool to use to do this? if it was
software that did it, wouldn't it be better to do a LOT of ports, in a
certain order, etc?  Like 100-200?  5 is way too few to make it
unhackable.  By the way, guessing key sequences isn't hard, it's simple,
it just takes time, and that's something that computers have a lot of.
Yes, it would take a long time, but it could do it.. I'm just saying it
could be a false security.

Why not do something thats based on time?  Like, sshd (or anything you
want) will be at port X at time Y depending on Z (where Z is a 'salt'
kind of thing you define). So, using an algorithm with X, Y, and Z, and
the time, your server and client use the same calculations to find what
X will be at a given Y.  You would just need your clocks synced.  This
isn't perfect either, just more stuff to throw in to the mess. :)

Eric