Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 02:08:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improvements to rc.firewall?

In article <199706021148.EAA14857@hub.freebsd.org> you wrote:

> Hmmm, ipfilter doesn't necessarily expose you to this...

> pass out on ppp0 proto udp from <thishost> port = 53 to any keep state

> (it will parse that too!) althought the timeout is not short.  this will
> automatically let the reply packets back in.

> only a named should be talking to an external named so you can do filter
> packets to/from port 53.

Beware folks, BIND 8.1 issues UDP queries from _any_ port by default
(older binds used port 53 when originating only).  It can be configured
to use any other port;  Vixie uses 42 himself, he told.

Also, TCP queries can be used instead of UDP - there are indeed some
names which have lots of MXes / As and resolvers have the right to use
TCP anytime for reliable delivery.

So, the modern rule is `allow from any host:any port to our host:53 tcp|udp'
for all queries to our name servers to work.