Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 12:53:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SIGABRTs killing X

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, David Greenman wrote:

>    Ah. Try setting the memory speed one notch slower than full blast. This
> appears to be a memory timing problem (or just bad RAM?). The most common
> case of the X server getting a SIGABRT is via another unexpected signal
> (usually SIGSEGV, SIGBUS, or SIGILL) - the server calls abort() in this
> case which then sends itself a signal in order to cause the system to
> generate a core file.

I don't remember if I left it at full tilt or not.  I will slow it down a
bit and see if it still does it.  On the other hand, making it to it at
all seems to be a little tricky.  It did it twice within two days (about
24 hours apart), and then hasn't done it since.

45ns EDO RAM should be able to run just fine with everything turned all
the way up, so I may try re-seating the SIMMs, and testing the RAM (or
swapping it for other SIMMs) if it keeps doing it.

Later......						<Doug>