Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 07:24:09 +0900
From:      "Akinori MUSHA" <knu@iDaemons.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Qt2X business (KDE2, GL support and XFree86 4.0.2_2+ & xthreads)

At Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:15:52 -0800 (PST),
I wrote:
> knu         2001/03/19 14:15:52 PST
>
>   Modified files:
>     x11-toolkits/ruby-qt2 Makefile.common
>   Log:
>   Use the threaded version of Qt2 library for 5-CURRENT.
>
>   Mark ruby-qt2gl broken for 4-STABLE due to the thread library problem.

And I'm done!

At Tue, 20 Mar 2001 06:44:17 +0900,
I wrote:
> > OK, but that doesn't tell me if you have problems using libqt2-mt with
> > your qtgl apps (I believe your ruby-qt mod or similar uses it).  I.e:
> > please test with substituting -lqt2 for -lqt2-mt and try out
> > functionality to ensure that it still works.  Probably going to need to
> > link your ruby-qt et al with -pthread etc.  But I wouldn't know.  This
> > is better tested by you (you can use either qt22 or qt23 port -- I
> > believe they both have -thread and no -no-opengl).
>
> Yes, I'm working on it.  I just meant "You don't have to wait for me
> to fix ruby-qt2* stuff at all, just go ahead".  I will mark them
> broken if I find that I can't get them fixed. (I hope not though)
> Still, I'd like you to put KDE2 packages in the 4.3-RELEASE. ;)
>
> The problem in 4.x or prior versions that libc and libc_r cannot be
> happily linked together is so annoying that we can't compile a decent
> binary if it needs to be linked with both a non-threaded shared
> library and a threaded shared library.  And ruby-qt2 is the very case,
> which means, I can never make it really happy on the stock 4.x anyway.
> The combination of libc and libc_r might cause unexpected problems on
> a random occasion.

While the libc & libc_r combo dealt with it completely on 5-CURRENT,
it just segfaulted on 4-STABLE.  So I marked qt2gl as broken without
hesitation.  It couldn't live without a decent libc_r anyway. ;)

--
                     /
                    /__  __            Akinori.org / MUSHA.org

"We're only at home when we're on the run, on the wing, on the fly"