Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 13:56:25 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@alpha.netcraft.co.uk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, nathan@netrail.net, questions@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP accounting

> > As for kilobytes/interface, I dunno if that's possible without using
> > some sort of packet sniffer.
>
> Couldn't you just use the output from `netstat -ib' in a slow loop to
> essentially approximate that functionality?  I don't know what kind of
> granularity is required, but David was able to meter wcarchive's
> bytes/sec traffic fairly well by doing that repeatedly.

ipfw accounting gives the stats you need. If we ditch ipfw (and I
tend to be in favour) then I really hope we can retain accurate ip
traffic accounting because that's essential to the way we use it
on our boxes.

Netstat simply doesn't do the job since it measures traffic per
interface and I have a number of virtual hosts and need traffic per
ip address.

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)