Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 11:21:13 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        tobi@bland.fido.de (Tobias Ernst)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: instabilities

Tobias Ernst writes:
[snip]
>Now my question is on what tools I could use to find out what actually is goin
>wrong the next time a problem of this sort pops up. In the first case, I
>suspect that the problem must have been somewhere in the ISDN layer, so I thin
>I have not much chance of finding out unless I want to invoke a debugger. But
>in the second case it must have been a problem in the IP layer, and so there
>should be ways to diagnose it. spppcontrol perhaps?
>
>My system is FreeBSD 2.2.8 with i4b 0.70.00 and Gary's patches for the PCC-16
>applied.

well, if you suspect the isdn layers then you should turn on debugging bits
using isdndebug. When I want to debug isdn itself I turn on ALL the bits
in ALL the layers. This produces lots of output, but I usually find that
the clue to the cause is buried somewhere in there. However, you must be
prepared to learn a lot about isdn4bsd in the process ;) It can also be
useful to turn on more debugging bits in isdnd with the -d option.

secondly, try running tcpdump (you need BPF in the kernel) on the interface.
The -vv option is good here.

thirdly, Helle is on the verge of releasing a new version with lots of bug
fixes, so you might want to wait until it comes out and then upgrade.

fourthly, are you REALLY sure that you changed nothing ? I was fighting
with sPPP for a while and was convinced that I hadn't changed anything.
Turned out that I'd enabled TCP extensions at some time, and that was
causing my problems.

and last but not least, has the other end changed something in their
configuration ?

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de