Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:15:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slab allocator update

:As I said this is the right thing to do, make the tradeoff for speed.
:using .1% of the system memory in order to effeciently manage the pool
:seems like a worthwhile tradeoff.
:
:You could halve this requirement by doing roundoffs to 2xPAGE_SIZE
:and half it again by making it a 16 bit integer pointing into an
:indirect array, but that's over optimizing for space imo.
:
:I think that the overhead and inconvience to store the size of the
:allocations may be too much for us to deal with.

    I have to disagree here.  I have a lot of experience converting
    malloc()/free() based systems to other types of memory allocators
    where the 'free' requires a size.  It's utterly trivial.  The size
    is known trivially in 99% of the cases.

    The vast majority of malloc()/free()'s in the kernel that could
    be said to require performance are malloc()'s and free()'s of structures,
    for which the size is known.

:Anyhow, you said you had some performance issues, using the simple
:hash will hopefully make the code smaller and more simple thereby
:speeding it up some.

    Hash tables are reasonable solutions but they have downsides too.
    The biggest one is L1 cache pollution since you are essentially
    calculating a pseudo-random index.  The other is storage.  It is well
    worth it if one can avoid the storage requirement.

:Lastly it might make sense to have a double map, so you have an array
:of pointers to pages that contain pointers to your slab meta-data,
:then you only need to allocate another page for this when you grow
:the arena, this may cause too much complication though, but it may
:offer an improvement over hash chaining.
:
:--
:-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]

    Careful, all these features are going to increase the per-allocation
    overhead by a lot more then just a few bytes!  Yuch!

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>