Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 03:37:29 GMT
From:      "Lanny Baron" <lnb@freebsdsystems.com>
To:        NAKAJI Hiroyuki <nakaji@tutrp.tut.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: samba vulnerability

Hi,
I am the Canadian mirror for Samba.org and the warning is right on the main
page, under NEWS. It's the macro %m and it warns:

The security hole occurs when a log file option like the following is
used:

 log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

In that case the attacker can use a locally created symbolic link to
overwrite any file on the system. This requires local access to the
server.

If your Samba configuration has something like the following:

 log file = /var/log/samba/%m

Then the attacker could successfully compromise your server remotely
as no symbolic link is required. This type of configuration is very
rare.

The most commonly used log file configuration containing %m is the
distributed in the sample configuration file that comes with Samba:

 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

in that case your machine is not vulnerable to this attack unless you
happen to have a subdirectory in /var/log/samba/ which starts with the
prefix "log."

Regards,
Lanny