Date:      Sun, 02 Jan 2000 19:55:30 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@iengines.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "File too large" in Amanda restore?

>> This is probably because you're using NFSv2 which has a 2 GB filesize
>> limit.  NFSv3 isn't limited to 2 GB so if you can use v3 that will help.
>> If not, you need to use a different method to move the data over the net.
>
>Hmm, is there a way to check which version of NFS a server is using?  (and
>if the system is running NFSv2, how to force it to use v3?  As I said
>before, it's 3.4-STABLE

FBSD-3.4 nfs server will do either v3 or v2 as requested by the client.
Offhand I'm not sure of a way to get the server to tell you what version
each client is using.

You said the client in this case is BSDI which I have no familiarity with,
but you used the word legacy which typically implies "old".  If it's more
than a few years old it's probably using v2.  One indicator is if its
mount_nfs(8) has options "-2" and "-3".  Most of the OS's I've seen that
have v3 support have these options so they can still talk to older servers.
(Which is useful because I've run into at least one incompatibility
between vendors' v3 implementations and have had to force v2 on those
clients to get them to work.)

In any case if you're trying to copy a 4.3 GB file via NFS and it dies
at 2.0 GB, you can bet it's a v2 NFS mount and start looking for a
different way to copy the file.  Try:
dd if=sourcefile | rsh BSDIhost dd of=targetfile

-Mitch