Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:16:33 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

According to Vincent Poy:
> 1) User on mercury machine complained about perl5 not working which was
> perl5.003 since libmalloc lib it was linked to was missing.
> 2) I recompiled the perl5 port from the ports tree and it's perl5.00403
> and it works.

I don't think he used perl to hack root unless you kept old versions of
Perl4 and Perl5. The buffer overflows in Perl4 were plugged in May by
Werner. 5.003+ holes are fixed in 5.004 and later.

> 6) We went to inetd.conf and shut off all daemons except telnetd and
> rebooted and user still can get onto the machine invisibly.

That shows that he has used a spare port to hook a root shell on. In these
case, "netstat -a" or "lsof -i:TCP" will give you all connections,
including those on which a program is LISTENing to. That way you'll catch
any process left on a port.

--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: There are no limits -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #23: Sun Jul 20 18:10:34 CEST 1997