Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 1997 17:38:47 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gotcha in moving to post 4.4 lite2 merge ``world''.

On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > People say Kirk McKusick is working on soft updates as a contractor to
> > BSDI.
>
> He is.  David and he were talking about this tonite and since I was
> only listening with half an ear, I'll let David share any pertinent
> comments he may have for himself.
>
> > Case 1: The release of these kind of enhancements would delayed
> > long enough to give them a "competitive advantage".
> >
> > Case 2: The enhancements will be considered their proprietary "value-add"
> > indefinitely and things will diverge more than ever.
>
> Case 3: BSDI & Kirk actually do this openly and allow the other *BSDs
> to pick up the work in a timely fashion.
>
> I have reason to believe that #3 may be a distinct possibility.

That would be very cool of BSDI and most likely benefit them too.

Regarding "Lite3" I don't think there will be one because:

1) The CSRG team has been disbanded.  The VM guy and the ports guy are
with BSDI and the FS/VM guy is freelance.

2) David and John are the care takers of the kernel VM in FreeBSD.  Mike
Karels, I think, is the care taker of the VM in BSDI.  Things like how
mmap coherency are implemented are probably a little different.  I haven't
had a chance to look at BSDI's source recently and no one talks about it
on the BSDI lists so I can't be sure, but I think the approach is
different.

Regards,

Mike Hancock