Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 1995 22:10:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        "Don's FList drop" <freelist@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>, "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: higher density diskettes

On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Jake Hamby wrote:

> > > This is very interesting.  If it works for them, we can do that too.
> > > The changes to the floppy-build procedure is rather few, but I still
> > > suggest we hang in there until we hear how much trouble MS has with it...
> >
> > It's actually not a terribly new idea. I've seen utilities to format
> > diskettes at slightly higher capacities for almost as long as I've had a
> > PC. I remember 420k 5.25 floppy formatters.......
>
> This is a great idea, with one possible problem.  Formerly, I used a program
> called 2M to format disks to higher capacity but it required a TSR in order
> to be able to READ the disks you had formatted.  That meant that I
> couldn't read the disks I had written on other people's computers!
> The designer thoughtfully wrote a custom boot sector which allowed you
> to boot from one of these disks and it would install the TSR
> virus-like into the system so you could read the disk!  Before that I used a
> different program which required a device driver to read its disks.

yeh... but the program I used would fit within the first 16 sectors so
that you could just put the program on the disk and it would load when
you run if from the disk... not bad a 2.5k loss of disk space...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
Modem/FAX: (503) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)