Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 23:28:04 -0700
From:      Zach Thompson <cublai@earthlink.net>
To:        gerti-freebsdq@BITart.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kde2 install problems

Gerd Knops wrote:

> z thompson wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to install kde2 for the last week or so with no
>> success. It keeps failing on the build of kdesupport2 with the error:
>>
>> configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 2.2.2) (libraries) not found. Please
>> check your installation! For more details about this problem, look at
>> the end of config.log.
>>
> Same here. I guess you have X 4.02 installed, and I understand the
> problem is the X now uses multi-threading. You can get kde2 compiled
> with 'make install CXXFLAGS="-pthread -D_THREAD_SAFE"', but even though
> that works KDE will hang during startup. I think Will
> (will@FreeBSD.org) is working on it, so let's hope he can figure it out
> soon (BTW let's thank Will for his ongoing KDE2 support, seems nobody
> else wants to touch it).

So it's possible I'm not a complete idiot.  That's odd,  I tried
installing it with X 3.3.6 and got the error that I needed 4.0.2_6,
so I installed 4.0.2.  Well I hope that's it because I must have tried
this 7-8 times removing all of X and everything kde depends on.  But
there was a post of someone uninstalling and reinstalling X, Mesa, then
Qt and getting kde to work.

Zach