Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 11:46:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      Thomas Gellekum <thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Cc:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de, jkh@time.cdrom.com, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Acrobat Reader

Pedro Giffuni S. wrote:
> Thomas Gellekum wrote:
> >
> > Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > >
> > > And if the Adobe Acrobat reader is freely redistributable then
> > > yes, we probably should put it on the FreeBSD CDs. :)

Maybe someone with a better grasp of legalese can shed some light on
it. From LICREAD.TXT in the distfile, also available as
/usr/local/Acrobat3/Reader/License.pdf after installation:

[...]
-	You may make and distribute unlimited copies of the Software, including
copies for commercial distribution, as long as each copy that you make and
distribute contains this Agreement, the Acrobat Reader installer, and the same
copyright and other proprietary notices pertaining to this Software that appear
in the Software.  If you download the Software from the Internet or similar
on-line source, you must include the Adobe copyright notice for the Software
with any on-line distribution and on any media you distribute that includes the
Software.
[...]

It seems to me that we may distribute it even on the CD if we include
some kind of ``This CDROM contains software (C) by Adobe.'' message.

For anyone who wants to look at the complete license:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/3.x/acroread_linux_b1106.tar.gz
is the relevant $DISTFILE.

> > To get this back where it started: I'll try to make a binary port of
> > acroread in the next few days.

I have the port lying at home; when agree on the copyright issues in
the next few days I'm going to commit it.

> Hoping not to be too "anti-linux"...
> Why not include it under xperimental or even commercial, instead? Itīs
> BETA + emulated, besides some X11 libs for Linux wonīt work well with
> BSDIīs netscape.

How about using Linux' netscape? :-] (I can't say anything about that,
I don't use netscape. (Normally. Except for really misdesigned web
pages which are important (to me) but require those !@#$%^ netscape
extensions.))

We could always include stuff like this in experimental or commercial
and still make a port of it ($DISTDIR=/cdrom/commercial/acroread/ or
something like that should be enough). Any opinions?

> BTW, if Linux binaries are being ported, an asWedit port would be great.

Just Do It (tm). :-)

tg