Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 2010 22:28:34 +0000
From:      Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org>
To:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: expand_number() for fetch'es -B and -S switches

On Wed Sep  1 10, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org> writes:
> > just having a quick look around to see, if anybody would be interested in
> > fetch -B and fetch -S accepting humanized numbers using expand_number()?
>
> I can understand it for -B, but not for -S, since in the common case (by
> 1023 to 1, assuming a random distribution) the argument to -S can not be
> expressed in [kMGTEP]B.

you're absolutely correct there. i didn't really think about it. i just thought
-B might profit from expand_number() amnd saw that -S was also taking a byte
value as argument so i added it to my previous mail. i should have read the
description for -S more carefully. ;)

since you're the originator of fetch(1): should i send you a patch to add
expand_numer() to the -B switch or do you think fetch is better off as it is
now without humanised numbers?

i'm not sure, but i think fetch(1) is BSD specific so no POSIX regulations need
to be taken into consideration. but you probably know more about this matter.

cheers.
alex

--
a13x