Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:06:16 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Boot Times

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Warren Block wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Richard Yao wrote:
>
>> Gentoo FreeBSD shares OpenRC with Gentoo Linux. OpenRC is a BSD 2-clause
>> licensed System V init system replacement that supports parallel boot.
>> Its boot performance is competitive with systemd and Ubuntu's upstart.
>>
>> If FreeBSD's init system is serializing the boot process, it might be
>> worthwhile to consider importing OpenRC.
>
> There have been at least two attempts to parallelize the rc scripts. The more
> recent one was posted on the forums.  AFAIR, one advantage it had was no or
> few changes to the rc scripts, and something like 40% improvement in startup
> time.  I'll post a link if I can find it.
>
> Startup time is a big deal for notebooks.

Thanks to pointers from forum members and moderators, links to various
attempts to improve startup time:

An older attempt in -current:
http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/rc-improvements-wanted-td3911390.html

The forums post:

And a newer effort from the PC-BSD folks which sounds very promising:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.pcbsd.testing/6225