Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 1996 16:05:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about PLIST

I'm almost done with my ports of Marimba's Castanet Tuner and Bongo, and I
have a question about the PLIST file.

Both programs are written in Java, and consist of hundreds of .class
files.  In the installation Makefile, I'm using pax to transfer the entire
directory to /usr/local/lib/castanet or /usr/local/lib/bongo respectively.

I really didn't want to list every single file in the PLIST, especially
since the exact number and names of the .class files is likely to change
between versions.  So I just put the directory names in the PLIST.  Sure
enough, when I typed "make package", it put the correct files in the
tarball.

Unfortunately, when I try pkg_delete, it complains because it tries to
delete the directories as files, and obviously fails.  I can put a @dirrm
at the end of the PLIST, but the warning messages are annoying.  Also, I
was having second thoughts, since EVERY OTHER PACKAGE seems to list
filenames individually in the PLIST.  I can balloon the PLIST out to 10k
by listing each file manually, but then I can't get the package builder to
add empty subdirectories and directory symlinks into the package tarball!

I think I'm just going to go back to the original method of listing only
the directory name, and ignore the warning messages from pkg_delete
(and have it use @dirrm to remove the entire /usr/local/lib/castanet
directory).  Can somebody more familiar with building ports tell me
whether this is acceptable or if I must list each file manually (which I
don't want to do)?  Thanks in advance!

-- Jake