Date:      Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:47:49 -0500
From:      Guy Helmer <guy.helmer@palisadesystems.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   devfs and unionfs oddity

On a build server, I have a union mount of a FreeBSD o/s build from a =
point-in-time under a build directory, and then I have devfs mounted on =
dev in the build directory as well so I can do a chroot install of =
packages for particular target o/s versions.

mount shows this:
  <below>:/usr/app8xbuild/os-image on =
/usr/autobuild/images/product-image (unionfs, local)
  devfs on /usr/autobuild/images/product-image/dev (devfs, local, =
multilabel)

and the system does a chroot to /usr/autobuild/images/product-image/ =
while installing the ports for the product.

It seems impossible, but at times, after unmounting =
/usr/autobuild/images/product-image/dev and =
/usr/autobuild/images/product-image, a regular file =
/usr/autobuild/images/product-image/dev/null will be left as a result of =
redirecting some output to /dev/null during the port installs.

Could there be some odd interaction of devfs and unions that allows this =
to happen?

Guy=
--------
This message has been scanned by ComplianceSafe, powered by Palisade's PacketSure.