Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 21:18:21 +0800
From:      "Rino Mardo" <rmardo@yahoo.com>
To:        "Ruby" <roop_hs@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: WinMe+FreeBSD+Linux

hi.  let me start with why i cc'ed the list with your request.  although my
postings sometimes appear believable it is best that the others also see
your questions and my replies just in case i forgot to take my medicines.
:-)

first thing you do is backup all your data from your WinME if you need them.

now to your question. i haven't seen nor used PM before but from what i
heard it's newbie-friendly so if i were you (since you did made those
backups right?) i'd fire PM and concentrate on reducing the size WinME is
occupying in your hd.  forget about FreeBSD for now.

once you've reduced WinME's partition size, to let's say 10MB, reboot and
check if WinME is still bootable.  i'm not sure whether PM has a restore
facility in case you make a boo-boo (someone can fill in on this) but if you
did notice in it's menu something similar to a backup and restore MBR
(Master Boot Record - this one does the booting of your system from hard
disk or hd) then by all means do it first.

when you are sure that WinME boots, pop in the FreeBSD CD in your CD-ROM
drive and reboot.  let FreeBSD do the partitioning from now on.

i suggest you take a look at www.freebsd.org/handbook for how to install
FreeBSD.  it's very helpful not only on installation but also in explaining
the concepts that you're getting confused at the moment.

Rino