Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:22:28 -0400
From:      Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
To:        Peter Brezny <pab@sysadmin-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: FTP almost gone now? (was: Re: IPFW almost works now.)

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 11:17:07AM -0400, Peter Brezny wrote:
> >>Balderdash!  HTTP and TCP both send files over identical TCP
> >>connections, which makes them equally efficient.  There really is no
> >>reason for FTP to continue to exist (but yet it does).
>
> I was under the impression that the http protocol is a much 'chattier'
> protocol than ftp, and that regardless of them running on identical tcp
> connections, FTP is much more efficient by nature of the Protocol.

This was my understanding as well, but I have no more data than you,
hence why I conceded that argument for the moment.

> Someone clear this up for me.
>
> Regardless, though, a secure, standardized method for PUT to work would be
> great for me.  We've got a number of clients who want to transfer large
> files without having to 'figure out' how to use an ftp client.  A web page
> they could log into that would guide them through the process of
> transferring files would be great.

I agree, this would be 'nice', but replacing FTP with this isn't an
option. Do not take away .my. tools because .your. users are too lazy
to learn what they are doing.

The Internet doesn't need any more dumbing-down than it's already had.
FTP is not hard. There are plenty of point-n-drool applications out there,
so the only excuse is one of laziness.

> I guess we should stop yapping, and start putting something together.
>
> Thanks Antoine for the great article on apacheweek.

Good luck with it.

Jamie