Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:14:18 +1000
From:      Q <q_dolan@yahoo.com.au>
To:        Dan Strick <strick@covad.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ATA controller cards supported by FreeBSD

I think you will find that the only distinction between most of these
"ATA Raid Controllers" and a regular "ATA Controller", is the BIOS code
used to manage the array and boot from the set. The RAID itself is most
often done in software by the driver and not in hardware. These cards
are NOT true "Hardware RAID", but rather hardware assisted software
raid.

For example, the earlier Promise Ultra66 (non-raid) cards can be
upgraded to be a "FastTrack66" (raid) by simply grounding pin 23 on the
bios chip with a 100ohm resistor and reflashing the onboard BIOS with
the FastTrack66 bios. They are that similar.

In short, these "ATA Raid controllers" are usually just a regular ATA
Controller with a fancy BIOS, and will function perfectly well as a
regular ATA controller if that's what you are after.

Seeya...Q