Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 1997 11:38:52 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: procedure to adjust clock drift?

> > I was told that PCs clocks are usually reliable and they are usually
> > off by a fixed clock offset so yes I am thinking about adjusting
> > the frequency on the clock in my PC. Typically, I use ASUS motherboards
> > which come equip with a Dallas Semiconductor RTC which is supposed
> > to be good. Guess, I have to go to the Dallas Semiconductor web site
> > to find out more about my RTC part.
>
> You'll find the specs will show that being off a few seconds
> per day is OK.
>

> > > I wrote some time ago a driver which connects a cheap DCF clock
> > > (german radio standard time signal (others should be easy to implement)
> > > controlled, price at about 10-20 $) via a simple interface to my
> > > (otherwise unused :-) game port (iX 11/1994p6).
> >
> > Oh, that sounds great most time clocks run about $1000 or so around
> > here . I wonder if there is a US counterpart.
>
> I think you're mixing synchronization cards that provide highly
> accurate time sync between multiple systems with one that picks up
> a radio broadcast.  The sync cards have one master optionally with
> a satellite hookup and multiple slaves.
>
> The clocks that pick up the NIST radio signal in the US are
> only about $60.00 or so.  I saw one in the last "Damark" catalog.
> I even saw a nice looking analog one for about $120.00.
>
> Apparently the PBS TV stations also broadcast the time in the US
> - I got a VCR as a gift and when I plugged it in first time it said
> something like "searching for PBS time signal..." and then set the
> clock.  That should be right up your alley and of course you already
> have a TV tuner in your computer.

Most Cool!
Do you have any pointers on PBS stations broadcasting time
signals ?

I bet a lot of folks over at the multimedia mailing list would love using
their TVs for timekeeping . They are literally suffering over there
with "What time is it???" with some programs related to multimedia.

	Tnks,
	Amancio