Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:47:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Standard sbc and pcm support in GENERIC kernel?

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Randy Pratt wrote:

> On Wed,  3 Mar 2004 17:03:40 +0100 (CET) you wrote:
>
> > I've been on the question list for some time, and I have noticed
> > that many people do not know how to get sound support up and
> > running in FreeBSD 5.X. I know that re-compiling the kernel is easy
> > enough, but there are still people not willing to do so, as I have
> > noticed on the list. Therefor I thought it might be an idea to put
> > sound support in the GENERIC kernel configuration, so that newbies
> > will no longer find themselves stuck with that.
>
> I think I've read more than one time about problems fitting the
> installation on the 1.44M floppies.
>
> Definitely a bikeshed discussion but adding to the documentation
> regarding kldload or a knob in sysinstall to turn on all sound modules
> is preferable to adding to the kernel.

Actually, pcm was in GENERIC for a while, but was removed because it
caused hangs on boot with a common line of Dell Latitude notebooks at the
time.  The problem is likely now fixed, and I'd certainly not object to it
being in GENERIC as long as there are no similar widespread issues now.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research