Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 23:56:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setting a var

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> Chuck Robey writes:
> >I have a problem, I'd love to hear suggestions as to how to fix it/
> >
> >I have a port nearly ready, of a2ps.  The trouble is that, in building the
> >port, a variable is required to be set, that of PAPERSIZE.  I have that
> >part of it completely worked out (very nicely) but I want to force, in the
> >package phase, the veriable PAPERSIZE to be embedded into the package
> >name.
> >
> >In itself, that's no problem, and I have that done.  The trouble comes in
> >when I want to insure that the same PAPERSIZE variable that was used in
> >building the port, is used in doing the packaging.  At the beginning of
> >the build, I drop a ".media" file into $(WRKDIR), having the value of the
> >PAPERSIZE variable.  That works fine.  What I want is to be able to
> >intialize (during the package phase) PAPERSIZE from reading the text in
> >that .media file.  THAT's the part I can't yet get done.
> >
> >I know I could easily do this using GNU make, but this is the port's
> >makefile, not the source's, and bsd make executes it.  Anyone know how I
> >can get this done?
> >
> >One thing ... I tried doing PAPERSIZE!= cat $(WRKDIR)/.media ... it says
> >work/.media: not found.  Like it's trying to execute the file.
> >

> a2ps is already part of apsfilter. Take a look at how apsfilter handles
> it maybe ? Or, drop the port since it's redundant ?

No.  The a2ps in apsfilter is years old (literally), in fact the version
in apsfilter is kept separately from the really old a2ps port, because the
version in apsfilter is _really_, _really_ old.  There are major
differences in the new port, including the automatic detection of source
type (a good assortment of languages that obviously includes C) and the
syntax sensitive font markup is really quite nice.  This upgrade is very
well worth it, I just need to get this done.

The existing a2ps port does not try to solve the problem I'm trying to
solve, it just lets it happen.  That's not ok with me, unless I'm pretty
well convinced there's no way to DTRT.

> ---
> Gary Jennejohn
> Home - garyj@muc.de