Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 01:02:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, nadav@cs.Technion.AC.IL, jandrese@mitre.org
Subject:   Re: technical comparison

Terry Lambert writes:

> I don't understand the inability to perform the trivial
> design engineering necessary to keep from needing to put
> 60,000 files in one directory.
>
> However, we can take it as a given that people who need
> to do this are incapable of doing computer science.

One could say the same about the design engineering necessary
to handle 60,000 files in one directory. You're making excuses.

People _want_ to do this, and it often performs better on
a modern filesystem. This is not about need; it's about
keeping ugly hacks out of the app code.

http://www.namesys.com/5_1.html

> (the rationale behind this last is that people who can't
> design around needing 60,000 files in a single directory
> are probably going to to be unable to correctly remember
> the names of the files they created, since if they could,
> then they could remember things like ./a/a/aardvark or
> ./a/b/abominable).

Eeew. "./a/b/abominable" is a disgusting old hack used to
work around traditional filesystem deficiencies.