Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 1995 07:38:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        uphya001@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de (Lars Koeller)
Cc:        INT16@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de, i@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de, j:@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de, freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Danamically attach an SCSI device?

Lars Koeller writes:

>       Is it   possible to attach/deattach   a SCSI device (e.g.  a tape/dat
>    drive) dynamically, i.e. without rebooting, to FreeBSD? If yes, how?

Yes:

With 2.0-current, 2.0R and 1.1.5 you use the "scsi" program and reprobe.
"scsi" is missing on 2.0-current and 2.0R; I no longer have 1.1.5 so
you'll have to dig it up.

With 2.0-current it will automatically reprobe if you try to open a device
that wasn't present at boot time, but the man pages aren't updated yet
to explain how to make a fixed ID device
(they are written and this weekend I'll try to commit the man pages and
a library to the proper place - I have to come up with proper type
Makefiles).

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936