Date:      Mon, 25 Dec 1995 15:29:03 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   MAKEDEV doesn't create all necessary scsi-harddisk devices

Hi !

After upgrading to -current I invoked '/usr/src/etc/etc.i386/MAKEDEV all'
to create all possible device entries.

The special file in /dev for the root fs (/dev/sd0a) was created.
But the following special files were only deleted, but not re-made:

	/dev/sd0s3b /dev/sd0s3d /dev/sd0s3e /dev/sd0s3f
	/dev/sd0s3g /dev/sd0s3h

Calling MAKEDEV with different arguments ( all | std | sd0 )
didn't work. I had to call MAKEDEV with the following arguments:

	MAKEDEV sd0s3d sd0s3e sd0s3f sd0s3g sd0s3h

During runtime MAKEDEV complained, that it couldn't find chown
and chgrp.

I think these programs (chown, chgrp) should move to /bin for the
case, that you can't mount the /usr filesystem.

Additionally I would suggest, to add an editor and a pager
to the /bin tree. I forgot the exact command flags of the
mount command, to remout a read only mounted device rw.

Good luck, I have the O'Reilly manual set...
I know that this command is in one of the rc files, but,
can you read as fast as a "cat /etc/rc" ?! Not possible.
I'd vote to get a pager and an editor into /bin.

Or what do you think about it ?

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH