Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 2015 10:22:48 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Roger_Pau_Monn=C3=A9?= <roger.pau@citrix.com>, freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'Live' Migrate messes up NTP on FreeBSD domU - any suggestions?

--On 03 November 2015 12:21 +0100 Roger Pau Monn=C3=A9 =
<roger.pau@citrix.com>=20
wrote:

> Is XenServer also synchronized using ntpd? When a guest resumes from
> migration is updates it's current time based on the time provided by the
> hypervisor, so if the hosts themselves are not synchronized you could
> see skews like that.

I've tested this on two pools now. The original production pool (Xeon=20
E3-1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz) has the issue.

Our office / test pool (Xeon L5630 @ 2.13Ghz) also -has the issue-. Both=20
are setup pretty much identical (same storage solution, both running=20
FreeBSD 10.1/10.2-R with 'xe-guest-utilities' installed). Running or not=20
running NTP doesn't make a difference.

Live migrates result in the domU gaining several seconds (thus breaking NTP =

if it is running) else leaving the host 'running in the future' vs. both=20
external clocks, and NTP sync'd clocks on the xenserver.

As it's easily reproducible I guess I'll file it as a bug...

-Karl