Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2004 00:37:02 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with belgian keyboard in X

On Saturday 27 March 2004 20:50, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed FreeBSD on a machine with a Belgian (azerty) keyboard.  It
> works fine in console, but not in X: all keys are mapped correctly, exc=
ept
> for the "<>\" key.  I have keymap=3D"be.iso" in rc.conf and Option
> "XkbLayout" "be" both in XF86Config X0-Config.keyboard.  I've tried sev=
eral
> variants to the "be" keyboard layout (iso, deadkeys, ...) but none of t=
hem
> maps the < > \ key correctly.

I believe the keyboard interpretation is defined in the files:
  /etc/X11/xkb/...
or
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/...
dependent on the particular version of X you're running (or they
may be lisked to the same set of files.

I think symbols/be may be the particular file of interest in your case.
But I don't know or understand the syntax; so I'd take an easier approach=
 and=20
patch the key mapping using xmodmap in each users X login script.
Take a look at the manual page xmodmap(1).

Malcolm