Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:51:57 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        stefanos@ringworld.uniscape.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Promoting FreeBSD.

Stefanos Kiakas wrote:

> Woody Carey wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Stefanos Kiakas wrote:
> >

>         The point of developing these tools is to allow people who are not familiar to FreeBSD and UNIX feel comfortable in doing day to day task, so they don't have to call for support. Once the box is setup there are many task which can be performed which will not affect the stability of the FreeBSD machine, like adding and deleting users.

Valid point. I still think, however, that the most good is done by
teaching _you_ how to write particular scripts/GUI tools for a client.
Adding and deleting users is an example of a tool that is relatively
constant from system to system, but beyond that, things start to break
down because there are so many different ways FreeBSD can be used. If
the tool is general enough to work, it becomes cumbersome and worse than
learning the text files.

I can see that a GUI tool might also be set up to configure itself based
on what's installed (and _where_), but we're talking a lot of built-in
test scripting.

Of course, then there's the argument that for servers it's silly to run
X in the first place.

>         We add a GUI layer on top of the text files used to configure the system. I don't want to replace the current text configuration file structure.

Rewrite / duplicate adduser in Tk, and write a similar one for removing.
I'm sure the team would be happy to add such to the CDROM. I would find
uses for them myself, I'm sure. :)