Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 00:45:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        "Jin Guojun[ITG]" <jin@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        mburgett@cmnsens.zoom.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: K6 - New results..

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Jin Guojun[ITG] wrote:

> Would some one explain how to get the replacement for old K6-200?
> Talk to the AMD or the vendor? and how huch will cost for the replacement?

For replacements, contact the company where you got the chip.  Some places
can replace them for up to 1 year.  Others will do 30 days.  I know that
those who get it from @Once (distributor) may be able to do longer (at least
that's what the say).  Also rumors about AMD K6 boxed cpus coming soon too.

> Thanks,
>
> -Jin
>
> }>Ok, I got my replacement K6-200 yesterday, after the distributor tried to say
> }>there was nothing wrong with the old chip (because they couldn't make it fail
> }>running windoze for a couple of hours... :(
> }>
> }>So far, the chip is performing flawlessly.  I've run 10 full 'make worlds' in
> }>the last 24 hours (takes about 2 hours, with a 20 minute pause between them),
> }>and all have completed perfectly, without any sign of the errors I was seeing
> }>before.
> }>
> }> The original chip contained the manufacturing code:
> }>
> }> 9716CJD
> }>
> }> And noted the voltage as 2.9
> }>
> }> The replacement contains the manufacturing code:
> }>
> }> B 9731FPAW
> }>
> }> And notes the voltage as 2.9 core/3.3 I/O
> }>
> }> Significant? Dunno, just trying to fill in blanks. :)
> }
> }I think currently all the K6's are Rev B.  I don't know for sure, but my
> }guess is that the 2 digits after the 97 are the week number... So this new
> }one is a July chip I think.  The previous was probably the first batch
> }(near the end of March and beginning of April) if I have the code right.
> }AMD has been playing around with the markings so I guess they are still
> }changing the markings.  I think Rev A was the engineering sample batch
> }that was sent to MB companies.
> }

Shoppers Network (Support)      AMD K5/K6s, Cyrix 6x86, Intel Pentiums/Pro
Phone: (415) 759-8584           Email: howard@shoppersnet.com
==============================> WWW - http://www.shoppersnet.com