Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:44:22 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: use keep state(strict) to mitigate tcp issues?

--EuxKj2iCbKjpUGkD

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 03:17:32PM +0200, Mipam wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> When deploying a BSD with IPF in at the network perimeter
> and using rules like these:
>=20
> pass in .. proto tcp ... keep state(strict)
>=20
> it's possible to refuse tcp packets which arrive out of order.
> This would increase the difficulty doing blind attack resets and blind
> data injection attack, cause then you'd have to "guess" the exact expected
> number. Checpoint has a similar feature (is that right?) which is
> described here as the answer to the mentioned attacks:
>=20
> http://www.checkpoint.com/techsupport/alerts/tcp_dos.html
>=20
> Allthough this is nice, there is also the risk of breaking
> connection because it's not unlikely that packets arrive out of order.
> At least, that's what i think, any thoughts upon this?

IMHO, in the world of multihomed ISP's, BGP and multipath routing, no,
it is definitely *not* unlikely that packets should arrive out of order.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@sbnd.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
If I were you, who would be reading this sentence?

--EuxKj2iCbKjpUGkD

--EuxKj2iCbKjpUGkD--