Date:      Mon, 16 May 2016 13:08:18 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unresponsive jails issues

> On 16 May 2016, at 12:55 , Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com> wrote:
>=20
> I have a server running 13 jails for various system services. Recently =
I added two jails to run simple go applications for testing. They open a =
network socket and nginx, which is in another jail, and which round =
robin balances requests to them. I mention that because it may be =
related, however not necessarily because it was happening earlier.
>=20
> The problem is that every 2-3 days jails in my servers stop =
responding. "jexec jailname tcsh" hangs forever, "service jail stop =
jailname" hangs forever as well. "top" doesn't show anything suspicious. =
I can login through SSH to the main server fine. I don't login to jails =
through SSH so I can't check but it seems that when that happens they =
stop responding because the services that are running in them stop too =
(e.g. web server, imap, ...). I tried to "kill -9" the "jexec" process =
that hangs but that doesn't work.
>=20
> My first question is what evidence should I gather when that happens =
so that I can investigate the issue later on after the server is =
restarted?
>=20
> And the second question, any idea why that might be happening in the =
first place?
>=20
> I am running FreeBSD 10.3 AMD64 updated from 10.2 a couple of weeks =
ago.

If you can log into the base system and issue commands there;  try to =
see what procstat (-k) thinks about various jailed processes.  You could =
also check ps axl for the WCHAN and see if anything suspicious shows up.

/bz