Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 2003 13:26:21 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: connecting to my isp

Brian H wrote:
> I am trying to switch my router from Linux Router Project to FBSD 4.7
> because i think i can get more functionality with bsd :) I am running
> into a problem with getting it connected to my isp.

Was this working under the LRP?  Or has your MAC address changed?

> i have a cable connection and the way that the LRP connection is through
> dhcp. it uses the mac address as a means to authenticate. What turn on
> "DHCP" in /stand/sysinstall configure networking menu. It just hung
> there for a while and then returned no information from the dhcp server.

Hmm.  Some ISPs want you to authenticate before they'll give you a DHCP
lease by requesting a specific hostname, or some other DHCP option.  Or
try to wheedle a static IP out of your ISP if they can't help you
connect to their DHCP server under FreeBSD.  :-)

-Chuck