Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2016 11:18:18 +0100
From:      Willem Offermans <Willem@Offermans.Rompen.nl>
To:        Marten <info@martenvijn.nl>
Cc:        Willem@Offermans.Rompen.nl, freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nanobsd and mutli vap support

Hello Marten and FreeBSD friends,

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 11:54:01PM +0100, Marten wrote:
> hi ,
> >
> > I had a closer look to and deeper thought about your howto
> > (http://makerspaceleiden.nl/wiki/index.php/NetworkSetup_AP).
> >
> > 1) Do I understand correctly that a VAP (virtual access point) is nothing more
> > than a bridge between a vlan and a wlan in hostap mode?
> >
> no it’s more like a virtual interface stacked on a physical interface.
> The bridge is used to connect it to the vlan .
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ieee80211_vap&sektion=9&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+10.0-RELEASE <https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ieee80211_vap&sektion=9&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+10.0-RELEASE>;
>

> Actuallty some config maybe be needed/wished
> to avoid loops by  propagating spanning tree on the vlan interfaces
>
> man ifconfig => check for edge / stp
>

> > 2) Why didn't you assign IP addresses to the bridges? Do you do this at a
> >   later stage?
>
> I have no reason to, but for any interface you can replace “up” for  "ip/mask” if you wish to.
> If it has no ip sshd won’t bind to it. For monitoring I would prefer to monitor the ESP/NodeMCU sensors
> that would give trough network performance from the wlan-clients perspective. (packet loss)
>

> > 3) From the NetworkSetup_AP:
> >
> > <snip>
> > ifconfig_wlan0="channel 6 ssid MakerSpaceLeiden_gasten up"
> > ifconfig_wlan1="channel 6 ssid MakerSpaceLeiden_deelnemers up"
> > ifconfig_wlan2="channel 48 ssid MakerSpaceLeiden_5G_gasten up"
> > ifconfig_wlan3="channel 48 ssid MakerSpaceLeiden_5G_deelnemers up"
> > ifconfig_wlan4="channel 6 ssid MakerSpaceLeiden_IoT up"
> > </snip>
> >
> > The channels will be the same in all access points. Will this lead to
> > instabilities when the access points are in close proximity?
>
> This is just one acces point, in the space I currently run 4 ap’s (but i could be a much larger number.. )
> where a push the configs from the router to the ap’s. The current space has 300 square meter, but i would
> not surprise me if that triples in the coming years…  This is config has:
> - ip adresses
> - ssid
> - channels
> - ssh-keys
> - remote syslog
> - ntp
> - sysctl
>
> And since it has key, there is a small shell script that mounts /cfg/ and copies of a tarbal
> with that config, so there is also a backup / restore mechanism.
>
> and later maybe:
> - bsnmp  to get en set values
> - tx power management (smaller cell and more ap when need)
> - auto up and down scaling combined with the sensor net or clients per ap…
> - auto cycling password’s for the guest work (bottom on the wall and a lcd screen...
> - sflow
> - mqtt posts for clients per network
> - maybe maybe :: radius authentication
> - mqtt-snmp bridge to drive PoE-switch related to information for the sensor netwerk

> [...]

O.K., next try in understanding of VAP. My FreeBSD 10.2 Server has several
network interfaces:

ath0
bge0
wlan0
vlan2
bridge2

So what you call a VAP is actually expressed by wlan0, which is a virtual
interface stacked on a physical interface, namely ath0 in this case.

vlan2 is a different interface, but also virtual and stacked on bge0. Its
purpose is to have a tagged network. Several vlan2 interfaces might be
combined to a network by switches, that understand vlan and are physically
connected to bge0. This enables several networks running through the same
switches.  Is this correct? vlan cannot be directly stacked onto ath0,
since this would not make sense.

The bridge2 glues all together and ensures that the vlan2 network is
extended to a wireless endpoint. Is this correct?

I'm not sure what to do with the info provided by your recommendation to
have a look to edge / stp.

man ifconfig => check for edge / stp

What is this looping about?

I also don't understand how you get your bridges working, if you do not
assign IP addresses.

The info you gave at point 3) is a bit overwhelming. I just picked the
following:

`` ... where a push the configs from the router to the ap’s....''
``.. - ip addresses ''.

So, do I understand correctly that you push the IP addresses to the APs at
a later stage.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,